Saturday, January 3, 2009

Produce no waste

..or perhaps make use of other people's waste would be more appropriate. This is a picture of a new "shelving system" we created using items salvaged from our local tip. The stainless steel frame is one of about 10 we salvaged - ex shop fittings - because we thought they would be useful in the shed. Then we realised that the door shelves and butter container from an old fridge (also dumped at the tip), sit neatly on the fittings to make shelves.

Voila! Practical new shelves from waste. Cost - about 25c in petrol to get to the tip.



In the past I've collected these fridge door 'shelves' and used them to grow seedlings (drill holes in the bottom for drainage) - they are very sturdy and work well.

2 comments:

linda said...

this is a great idea. I collect things too for future "parts" and really enjoy seeing what others come up with using salvaged things.
In case you're wondering how I found you, I saw your comment/question on the down-to-earth blog recently and thought you sounded interesting. Your blog does not disappoint. I'll be back.

Margo said...

thanks Linda - glad you stopped by. Your post also reminded me I must post about a few more salvaging finds!!