Monday, October 13, 2008

Day 3 - Part 2

Right! Just time between dinner and evening session for a quick overview of our first field trip to Tukkadjungul - the property belonging to the Cydonia tutors Beck and Mark. It was really good to get away from the 'classroom' and out into the real world to see some permaculture in action. I picked up lots of intersting ideas that I could use at our place - using old tyres as rabbit guards for new planting in the paddock, creating microclimates by going up lovely teepee structures they had created using deadwood from the bush, and more dense interplanting than I had ever tried. Mark has also made a gorgeous deadwood pergola near the chicken housing area which I would love to replicate somewhere at our place (ie woudl love to get Jerry to replicate somewhere at our place!!

I also discovered a few species of tree that might be useful in one form or another for our place including Fejoa, Loquat, evergreen cherry, carob, quince and kangaroo apple - so I'll have to do more research on them once the course is over. They have chickens, a few pigs, ducks and goats, and a really lovely setting. Perfect to wander around in on a sunny warm spring afternoon. Speaking of walking I need to go for a stroll after another excellent meal before the evening session starts.

I'm sure tomorrow will be overdrive with A full day of sessions with David Holmgren.

No comments: