Saturday, October 18, 2008

Day 7 and 8 - Melliodora

Wow. I am blown away by Melliodora (the Holmgren property). So many thing to inspire...makes me want to bulldoze our house and start again! It was great to see permaculture in action on this scale - and in the middle (ish) of a town rather than out in the sticks (so to speak).

Some things I will be trying at our place include:
  • simple composting toilet
  • greenhouse on the house (might be a longer term project!)
  • cool cupboard in the house
  • more fruit trees
  • goats
  • maybe a dam
  • sprouted grain bread (Su's food was amazing and all from the garden)
Lots of interesting discussion / debate about weed ecology, use of plants like tagasaste and other non-natives, as well as a rather depressing presentation on peak oil - I haven't quite got David's knack of seeing the problem as the solution yet - it just depressed the you-know-what out of me.

It will take me a long time to work through all the things I have seen and heard over those 2 days - but today I have a day at home and need to get out into my own garden and tend the tomato empire and do more spring planting!

No comments: